Well. In the depths of the closet behind our stockpile of gift bags, guess what I found? That’s right, a 14th ball of Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk. Grump, grump, grump. Who ever though I would be sad to find yarn?? Now came the dilemma of whether to frog the edge of the baby blanket and add the extra ball (giving me about 3.3 more inches of blanket length) or use the extra ball for something else. Thanks to my lovely friends on Ravelry, I will not be frogging. Instead the extra ball will become a cowl. This makes me happy.
Just for fun, I decide to count how many boxes of basketweave I have in the blanket. As a result, I was able to determine exactly how many stitches in my blanket.
- 24 5-stitch boxes wide plus a 10 stitch garter border = 130 stitches wide.
- 37 5-stitch boxes tall plus a 12 row garter border plus cast on and bind off rows = 199 stitches tall.
- 130 x 199 = 25,870 in the baby blanket.
The blanket was about 32 x 32 unblocked and is 42 x 43 blocked. I think it will grow a little more with use. Thank goodness I talked myself out of a sweater with this yarn. It's gorgeous, but very stretchy and would certainly not hold its shape well in a garment.
Oh, and just for fun, I did the math to see how many stitches were in my legwarmers:
- Lower ribbing: 13 rows x 90 stitches per row + 90 cast on stitches = 1260 stitches
- 1st repeat (only one done correctly!): 14 rows x 90 stitches per row = 1260 stitches
- Lower leg: 12 rows x 90 stitches per row x 9 repeats = 9720 stitches
- Upper leg: 12 rows x 96 stitches per row x 8 repeats = 9216 stitches
- Upper ribbing: 13 rows x 96 stitches per row +96 bind off stitches = 1344 stitches
- 1260 + 1260 + 9720 + 9216 + 1344 = 22,800 stitches in my legwarmers

No comments:
Post a Comment