I have some pregnant friends, so I was hoping one of these sweaters could be gifts, but unfortunately, both sweaters turned out more toddler size than baby size. Sigh.
Sorry the pictures are terrible! I need to take better ones when I have some natural light!
Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmerman
Yarn: Sheep Shop Yarn Company Sheep 3 Yarn
Yardage: 1 skein = 325 yards
Needles: Size 5
No modifications. I did this one "by the book" since it was my first try at this pattern. The FO is knit up pretty loosely. The yarn is soft, light and squishy. The wool/silk combination is fantastic. I'm very excited to work with this yarn again! I ran out of yarn right before the button band, so I found this creamy colored leftover bamboo yarn in my stash and kept on knitting. I'm actually pleased with the results!
Pattern: February Baby Sweater by Elizabeth Zimmerman
Yarn: Araucania Magallanes (242 yards), Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted (47.5 yards in light brown), Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted (47.5 yards in dark brown)
Needles: Size 2
Yarn: Araucania Magallanes (242 yards), Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted (47.5 yards in light brown), Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted (47.5 yards in dark brown)
Needles: Size 2
I did not knit the gull pattern for this sweater because I didn't think it would go well with the thick and thin Araucania Magallanes yarn. I knit this sweater on very small needles to create a "less holey" fabric (again, the thick and thin yarn). The result is a pretty dense fabric, more of a baby coat than sweater.


I'm intrigued at how different these two sweaters are! Both use a simple garter stitch, but the results are worlds apart. Many factors play into this: the way the yarn is spun (multi-ply for the BSJ; single twist for FBS), the fiber content (wool/silk for BSJ; wool for the FBS), the colors (green/pastel for the BSJ, earthy/saturated for the FBS) and the needle size used compared to the yarn weight (5/sport weight for the BSJ; 2/worsted for the FBS). Amazing!
Oh yeah, and now I need buttons! Got a G. Street coupon in my email this morning... hmmmm...
I'm intrigued at how different these two sweaters are! Both use a simple garter stitch, but the results are worlds apart. Many factors play into this: the way the yarn is spun (multi-ply for the BSJ; single twist for FBS), the fiber content (wool/silk for BSJ; wool for the FBS), the colors (green/pastel for the BSJ, earthy/saturated for the FBS) and the needle size used compared to the yarn weight (5/sport weight for the BSJ; 2/worsted for the FBS). Amazing!
Oh yeah, and now I need buttons! Got a G. Street coupon in my email this morning... hmmmm...

2 comments:
Those sweaters are so cute!! buttons are always the hardest part, aren't they....
- Julie
Babies grow, really fast, and sleeves can be turned up. Don't worry that the sweaters are too big :)
Post a Comment