I finally made the plunge and decide to try out some lace weight yarn. And I have to say, while the process of knitting an complete FO with such thin yarn is very time consuming, I love the end results
Earlier this summer, I worked on the fountain pen shawl by Susan Lawrence. This shawl is going to be a gift for my mom, who has a milestone birthday coming up in September. I used Tess' laceweight superwash merino. The pattern was fun, but the rows got really long toward the end. I only managed to complete 10 of the 11 suggested repeats before calling it quits and jumping into the edging chart. And the edging chart was so fun! I think it was my favorite part to knit and is my favorite part to look at. As for the yarn, it was okay. I'm a little disappointed that it didn't really soften up after washing. Also, my left finger was constantly black from the dye bleeding while I knit. That was a big deal, just a little annoying.





Next up was the whiper cardigan by Hannah Fettig. I was dubious to knit this cardi because I couldn't quite wrap my head around the construction and if I could make it fit me. I would not be pleased to frog and re-knit a laceweight sweater! But after 3 people I know made whisper, I decided to give it go, taking into account the lessons they learned from knitting it. I made somewhere between a M/L size. That is, I cast on the right number of stitches for an M and knit the appropriate number of inches for an L. This made it a little tricky to decide how many stitches to pick up for the collar. Nothing that I little counting and a calculator couldn't solve, though! I also made one mod to the lower back: increases every 4th row rather than every other row.
Oh and the yarn! I absolutely love this yarn! I bought this skein of Malabrigo merinocash in the "smoke" color way during my trip to San Francisco in May. ImagiKnit was (is?) carrying merinocash as a test product. It is so soft to knit with and the color is fantastic. Hopefully it will be more readily available in the future!
Earlier this summer, I worked on the fountain pen shawl by Susan Lawrence. This shawl is going to be a gift for my mom, who has a milestone birthday coming up in September. I used Tess' laceweight superwash merino. The pattern was fun, but the rows got really long toward the end. I only managed to complete 10 of the 11 suggested repeats before calling it quits and jumping into the edging chart. And the edging chart was so fun! I think it was my favorite part to knit and is my favorite part to look at. As for the yarn, it was okay. I'm a little disappointed that it didn't really soften up after washing. Also, my left finger was constantly black from the dye bleeding while I knit. That was a big deal, just a little annoying.
Next up was the whiper cardigan by Hannah Fettig. I was dubious to knit this cardi because I couldn't quite wrap my head around the construction and if I could make it fit me. I would not be pleased to frog and re-knit a laceweight sweater! But after 3 people I know made whisper, I decided to give it go, taking into account the lessons they learned from knitting it. I made somewhere between a M/L size. That is, I cast on the right number of stitches for an M and knit the appropriate number of inches for an L. This made it a little tricky to decide how many stitches to pick up for the collar. Nothing that I little counting and a calculator couldn't solve, though! I also made one mod to the lower back: increases every 4th row rather than every other row.
Oh and the yarn! I absolutely love this yarn! I bought this skein of Malabrigo merinocash in the "smoke" color way during my trip to San Francisco in May. ImagiKnit was (is?) carrying merinocash as a test product. It is so soft to knit with and the color is fantastic. Hopefully it will be more readily available in the future!

4 comments:
The fountain pen shawl is absolutely stunning! Your plunge into laceweight was totally worth it. I didn't even know you were knitting the whisper cardigan - you're so fast! Both look great and you should be quite proud.
both are gorgeous projects!! the fountain pen shawl is stunning, and the whisper cardi is so lovely. Sounds like you made great yarn choices!
- Julie
I love the depth of colour in the shawl - well worth a stained finger :)
Lovely! Both the shawl and the cardigan are really beautiful while being very wearable, too. I think I might have to cast on for a whisper cardigan myself!
Post a Comment