Wednesday, November 12, 2008

CSA Extended Harvest 4: November 12, 2008

I am absolutely amazed at what is still coming out of the ground in this cold weather! The leaves have mostly fallen off the trees in Maryland, but the greens are still coming.

The Red Wiggler staff is more and more bundled up with each pick up... hats, gloves, boots... I'm so grateful for all the hard work they do to bring delcious food to so many tables.

One more week of veggie bliss and then I have to buy my own veggies. Not looking forward to that. I like having my greens forced on me. It's definitely getting me to eat plenty of them!



I'm excited to try out the kohlrabi this week. We had it once before in the spring as a "bonus," but I had no clue what to do with it and gave it to my mom. This time I will try to cook it up myself!

2 comments:

evergreenknits said...

Kohlrabi can look so intimidating, but you don't even have to cook it! It kind of has the texture and taste of a broccoli stalk. You can peel it and slice or grate it to add to salads. It makes a nice little salad on its with a herby, dijon vinegarette. Yum!

magnusmog said...

We grew kohlrabi one year and I loved it raw in salads.