I swatched for February lady last weekend on size 7 needles. I'm using Valley Yarn's Sheffield, the same yarn I used for the gallery jacket, in black. Sherbert (named after the error message Sherbert on Ravelry), my trusty sheep tape measure, told me that I have about 16.5-17 stitches per four inches using the 7s. The pattern calls for 18 stitches per inch. I’m liking the drape of this yarn with the size 7 needles, so I’m not going to go down a needle size, I’m going to knit the smaller sweater (35 bust) instead.
I worked the first button hole this morning using the button hole instructions in the back one of my Interweave magazines. I think this method is similar to the method the pattern recommends, but I find the Interweave instructions easier to follow.
As for Feruary baby: I bought this Araucania Magallanes yarn in 2005. Way before Ravelry, that's for sure. I have 2 colorways: this one with whites and browns and another one that has blues, burgundy, and black. I tried to make a ribbed scarf (k1, p1) with the blue colorway a long time ago. I didn't like the look and kept starting over... again and again... using different basic stitch patterns (1x1 rib, 2x2 rib, garter stitch, etc.). I finally gave up and threw the 10 inch scarf and the ball of yarn into my stash bin. Yesterday, when I was organizing my stash, I tried to frog the beginnings of that scarf, which has been rolling around in my stash bin for a few years. It was nearly impossible to frog. The yarn seems to have almost felted to itself at the end of each row. After trying to unravel and untangle for 20 minutes, I finally have to give up and threw it away. The sad new is that I still have about 3/4 of the blue colorway, which I really hate. Now I have no idea what to do with it!
The reason for that little detour is that I realized yesterday that one of the main reasons I didn't like the results I was getting with this yarn (other than the colors!) was because the thick/thin aspect of this yarn was really obvious on the needles I was using (6s? 7s?). So with the FBS, I am using size 2 needles. Much smaller than what is recommended, but I am loving the results because the thin parts aren't too thin. And the fabric, surprisingly, isn't too stiff. Now we'll see if I have enough yarn to finish the sweater. I might have to add a little of something else at the bottom, but that will be a game time decision. I plan to work the entire sweater in garter stitch because I believe the gull pattern and this yarn would not look good together.
The reason for that little detour is that I realized yesterday that one of the main reasons I didn't like the results I was getting with this yarn (other than the colors!) was because the thick/thin aspect of this yarn was really obvious on the needles I was using (6s? 7s?). So with the FBS, I am using size 2 needles. Much smaller than what is recommended, but I am loving the results because the thin parts aren't too thin. And the fabric, surprisingly, isn't too stiff. Now we'll see if I have enough yarn to finish the sweater. I might have to add a little of something else at the bottom, but that will be a game time decision. I plan to work the entire sweater in garter stitch because I believe the gull pattern and this yarn would not look good together.
As a side note, I cooked up some delicious lentil curry with brown basmati rice tonight. I served the curry with yogurt. I also brew some delicious earl grey tea this weekend, adding mint leaves and dried lavender for fun. I think the idea of lavender mint tea idea steeped (pun intended!) into my unconscious from the DC knitting meet-ups at Teaism.
Coincidentally, I found a great website for cooking times for whole grains. I bought the basmati rice in bulk, so there were no cooking instructions. But, no fear, the Internet to the rescue: http://www.grandtimes.com/Whole_Grains.html

No comments:
Post a Comment