Saturday, February 7, 2009

I'm up!

I intended to sleep in the this morning. Really. I've been staying up way too late this week and getting up too early in the mornings, so today was my day to sleep in. So you have to understand my disappointment when I rolled over and peeked at the clock with one eye to read the time: 7:32. Damn.

But it's okay. That gives some early morning hours work on my latest project: Endpaper Mitts by Eunny Jang. This is my first colorwork project, and I have learned many things about myself through the first bits of this project. I posted a mini-rant to my Rav buddies the night after I cast on, I will reitterate my greivences here (none of which have to do with the fabulous design):
  • I am not very good at the Italian tubular cast on.
  • It takes me 45 minutes to get a tubular cast on of 56 stitches that I sort of like.
  • I get strange looks from the mister when I talk to videos of Ysolda (teaching the tubular cast on): “what? wait. slow down!!”
  • The tubular cast on was just the beginning of my problems with this project.
  • I cannot throw well. I am completely uncomfortable holding yarn in my right hand.
  • I have no clue how to throw a purl stitch.
  • I have no idea if these mitts are actually going to fit me because of how tightly I’m holding the yarn.
  • I am sad because I feel like a complete novice knitter again.
  • I would rather seam a sweater than continue my end-paper mitt. It’s that bad people.
Well, I've done another pattern repeat since that first night and its getting better. And I really do love the design. May I'll take a bit of a repreive from colorwork when I finish these (the process is really slow for me), but I'll be back. I'm liking the results.

(Did you notice that now I am spending time blogging intstead of working on the project? Hmmm.)



On a side note, while I do like my knees and fingers, they have been replaced, at least for the purposes of winding yarn. This project was my first opportunity to use my new ball winder and swift (gifts from Santy). I love them and can't believe I've lived without them for so long!


2 comments:

Kathleen Dames said...

I know all about being up. Little ones don't understand about sleeping in. And I'm with you on the endpaper mitts. I'm about halfway through my first one and completely stalled (as in, I started them in November 2007). The progress was fairly quick, but it's so awkward. A friend suggested starting colorwork with something bigger in circumference than a mitt in fingering weight yarn. She may be right. Good luck!

Cassy said...

I'm sorry that it's not going well for you. Endpaper mitts were my first colorwork project too. I learned how to knit English style first, then continental, so I was used to the different styles. Maybe you could find a video online to help? Or one of those yarn thimble things that is used for stranded work that lets you keep both strands to one side.