Saturday, September 13, 2008

swatching for fall projects

Fall is almost here! As soon as September starts, fall has arrived in my mind. But I suppose I should to wait for the equinox to make it official. Nevertheless, I'm preparing for an avalanche (I hope!) of fall knitting by swatching for potential projects. I made 3 swatches last night.




First up: 100% Peruvian Tweed purchased at the Yarn Barn of Kansas booth at the Maryland Sheep and Wool festival. The yarn is amazingly soft knit up. I swatched on sized 3 needles, but I think I want a tighter fabric, so I'll try 2s or 1s. This yarn is going to be used for (basic) gloves for mister. I might double it to make him a hat and/or scarf as well. I hope the 600 yards will go a long way!



Next I got out the size 9 needles and my newly purchased Valley Yarns Northampton. This is a 100% wool yarn and knit up like a dream. The stitches are nice and even. I want to make the boatneck bluebell sweater by Stefanie Japel with this yarn.



Finally, I got out the size 11 needles to swatch the Debbie Bliss Donegal Chunky Tweed. I love this green color! And, not too suprisingly, the yarn is knitting up very quickly. I plan to use this yarn for a Drops Jacket.



The swatches are still drying and the CPH is still on the needles, but I'm itching to start one of these new fall projects!!

1 comment:

Team Knit said...

Ooh, those are all awesome fall knitting projects!! Can't wait to see what you get started on first.

- Julie