Saturday, September 6, 2008

WIP: Central Park Hoodie

This fall marks my first KAL. And what better pattern to pick than the Central Park Hoodie. There are several of us (about 7?) making the famous sweater.

I purchase 12 balls of Debbie Bliss Donegal Tweed in "sky" at the Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival this year with a sweater, but not necessarily this sweater, in mind.


Here's my swatch on size 6 needles. Based on recommendations from my fellow KALers, I went down to size 5s. However, I am using this project to work on consistency in my tension and have gotten progressively tighter as I knit up the back of the sweater. So, as I knit the front, I am going to go back up to size 6 needles.



I started this sweater in a way I've never done a sweater before: sleeves first. I like this approach and will definitely use it again!




So far the CPH has been a pleasurable knit, except for a bit of anxiety about running out of yarn. I used 4.5 balls of yarn for the swatch and sleeves alone. I'm sure this is because I adding significant length to both the sleeves and body of the sweater. As I researched purchasing more yarn, I found out that this color has been discontinued. But as luck would have it, I found some leftovers of this yarn in other Raveler's stashes and am in the process of trading/buying a few more balls of yarn. I can't rave enough about how wonderful Ravelry is! I might actually end up with EXTRA yarn... perhaps a hat or mittens to match??

Here's where I am to date: the sleeves and backs are finished. Off to do a little yoga and then work on the fronts on this rainy Saturday (hello Hanna!)... I hope I can finish the sweater before my birthday in about 1 month My present to myself!

No comments: