Saturday, October 25, 2008

the birthday celebrations continue!

Wow! I was treated to two special birthday dinners in the last week. Birthday celebrations are lasting the whole month long. I'm so fortunate to have such thoughtful people in my life!

On Friday, it was off to Ricciuti's in Olney, Maryland. I mentioned being interested in this restaurant back in March and the mister remembered! Good things come to those who wait! We started the evening with a cheese plate called "a cow, a sheep, a goat". As the name would suggest, the dish was a sampling of three cheeses. Of course, a bottle of wine was the perfect compliment to the cheeses. We selected an Italian Chianti. For the main course, I had rock fish over orzo seasoned with olives, capers, fennel and tomatoes. Delish! Dessert was chocolate pumpkin pie, which I have never had before. It tasted both like dark chocolate and pumpkin. Really, a not-too-sweet pumpkin pie with a little earthy kick. I might try to replicate this for Thanksgiving. A great evening!

Tuesday was a city dining experience with a dear old friend at Restaurant Nora near Dupont Circle. Check out the customized menu! How neat! Plus, I received a very thoughtful, very me birthday gift. Everything was from Vermont. First there were food goodies (and I love food!): maple syrup, blackberry preserves, and golden peach butter. And there were also lovely handmade soaps (lavender oatmeal and vanilla) with a beautiful ceramic soap dish. I just ran out of soap... what great timing!



But anyway, back to the food at Nora. Again, the celebratory bottle of wine was ordered! The staff was well versed on the wine list and made a great recommendation. It was a grape I never had before. I need to get the pictures to remember what it was called. For food, to start, we shared a decedent tuna and avocado dish and a refreshing beet salad with feta and citrus fruit. Wow. Both were heavenly. For my main course, I selected a lobster risotto. Warm and hearty for a crisp fall evening! And for dessert, we tasted a rich molten lava cake. Even better than the food was the wonderful company of an old friend. Priceless.

2 comments:

Kathleen Dames said...

Happy Birthday, Petra! And Nora is yummy, isn't it. Went there with my sister when she graduated from Johns Hopkins's SAIS program. Delicious.

kanitta said...

i love you, 'nuff said!!