Tuesday, August 5, 2008

babies everywhere!

So many babies are on the way this fall! I hope I can keep up and make something for all the new parents-to-be that I know!

This was my first baby sweater. It was quick and fun! I spent almost an hour picking out these adorable sailboat buttons. The intended recipients are big fans of boats and water.

Baby knit #1:
  • Pattern: February Baby Sweater by Elizabeth Zimmerman
  • Yarn: Karabella Aurora 4Color: Aqua #20
  • Yardage: 1.75 skeins = 344.8 yard
  • Needles: Size 6
  • Size: 3-6 months-ish?





I was really proud of being able to drop a few stitches down several rows to fix my mistakes in the gull pattern (rather than frogging several rows back).

Baby knit #2:
  • Pattern: February Baby Sweater by Elizabeth Zimmerman
  • Yarn: Karabella Aurora 4Color: Aqua #20
  • Yardage: 1.75 skeins = 344.8 yard
  • Needles: Size 6
  • Size: 3-6 months-ish?
  • Modifications: Since cables tend to pull, I added 1 stitch every 7 stitches right after I finished the garter stitch (yoke). 168 stitches instead of 148 stitches. The sleeves will have 48 stitches instead of 42 stitches. I am using an 8 stitch pattern repeat (cables - purl 2, knit 4, purl 2) instead of the gull pattern. I am working a cable row every 4th row, then every 6th row to add interest. Next time, I think I would just work the cables every 6th row for a cleaner look.






In February, I made my first baby knit: this adorable little pinafore dress designed by Debbie Bliss. If I were to make this one again, I would make the straps thicker (and possibly in seed stitch to make them more sturdy. I worked this one in the round to avoid seaming.





No comments: