Saturday, August 9, 2008

breakfast, berries, baking

Today was a delicious day!

I started with a fantastic breakfast while reading one of my latest copy of the Nutrition Action Newsletter. I topped my sourdough bread with butter from a local creamery and then chives and parsley (both from my flower pot herb garden). I also had a few slices of cucumber and one of those amazing tomatoes from this week's CSA haul, some almonds (protein!), and fair trade green tea that was a gift from a friend.


The weather was fantastic today (read: low humidity), so after a quick run, a friend and I headed to Butler's Orchard for a medley of berries. Blueberry picking was sparse compared to the bounty I came home with on in July, but there were still plenty of small ripe berries to choose from if you we patient enough to look. The blackberries are enormous right now, and the raspberries are just starting. I'll be back for more raspberries before the summer ends!


I started processing some of the CSA veggies when I returned home this afternoon. I made tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes. I learned how to peel tomatoes by creating a little cross on the bottom of each one and boiling them for 30 seconds. Works like magic! I also made an eggplant/squash/pepper ratatouille, which I'll eat for lunches this week.

Finally, I baked some zucchini bread. One of the keys of this zucchini bread was to use fresh, free range eggs from a co-worker of mine. I also replaced white sugar in this recipe with sucanat, which is marginally healthier, but gentler on the environment because it requires less processing than white sugar.



No comments: